I got the latest (and much more interesting) JC Penney "catalogue" last week and thumbed through it last night. It's great to see how even something as core to this retailer as its catalogue is getting a makover. It's clear that JCP has rethought it's shoppers' path to purchase and it wants to better control each step.
Just my observations . . .
1. It's square - unique size
2. New logo and square motif
3. It's colorful, full bleed, and stylish
4. Seasonal solutions - There's an Academy Awards party ideas section
5. **It isn't trying to directly sell me product . . . in fact, it's clear that this almost 100 page catalogue is meant to simply motivate me to go to jcpenney.com. For instance, full color options, sizing, etc. on clothing aren't shown.
6. it includes interesting articles on people whom the brand believes embody what JCP want to be. A couple's story after 84 years of marriage, a guy who's been photographed at every state's welcome sign, NFL fans at JCP headquarters
Here's a link to the online version . . .