This report on investment site TheStreet.com talks about a confirmed rumor that Walmart has asked Apple to help it reinvent its checkout process to save a possible $12MM/second (yes, that number is correct from the article).
It's a long-shot, but the ramifications are huge. They've got the scale to make this happen.
- increase in smartphone adoption
- persons checking out will likely have a phone ready for messaging/promotions, etc
- increased satisfaction with WMT store/shoppability
- brand perception changes with strong Apple partnership
- integration of WMT shopping (online & in-store) to iOS